SOLD MY CAR!
Isold my little red car (Alto Lxi) yesterday.According to N, it was time we sold it, before it's price goes crashing down. O.K., fine, we had been talking about this for the past six months on and of, but it still was a wrench to see it being driven off by some other guy!
So what? you might say- What's the big deal about such a tiny car? But it was special to me, sentimental fool that I am..It was my very first car- my very own!
So great was my agitation (which I had carefully hidden bebeath a pokerface)that, instead of pouring dosa(pancake) batter onto the hot griddle, I poured sambar (curry!) on it!!Can you imagine? N was in splits, laughing and teasing me about that!!
Anyway,now that my depression has worn off, we are on the lookout for my new car(so much more fun than greiving ,no?)Hopefully, by this time next month, I 'll be tooling around in a shiny new swift! Toodle-oo!
DOSA AND SAMBAR
Pachari (raw plain rice) 1 cup
Rose Ari(parboiled red rice) 1 cup
Ponni ari(Iddli rice) 1 cup
Uzhunnu(black gram dal) 1 cup
Boiled rice 1 tbsp
Salt 2 tsp
Sugar a pinch
Sodabicarb 1/2 tsp
Water as needed
1. Soak all the rices and dal overnight.
2. Put all ingredients in a blender or grinder. Add just enough water so it can be ground well.
3. Grind for at least 20 to 30 minutes till everything is well blended and the batter is thick.
4. Remove to a covered container and leave for fermenting .( at least 6-8 hours)
5. Heat a griddle, pour one spoonful of batter onto this, then spread out in circular motions till you have a flat pancake.
6. When golden in colour, add half a tsp of ghee, spread on it, and remove from griddle.
7. Serve hot with sambar ,chutney,or....have you tried chicken curry with this?just great!!
toor dal 1 cup
onion, chopped 1
tomato, chopped 1
drumsticks, chopped 2
Brinjal ,chopped 2(eggplant)
Carrot , chopped 1
Potato ,chopped 1
Green chilli ,slit 5
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
chilli powder 1 tsp
coriander powder 1tsp
Asafoetida powder 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste.
Tamarind paste 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves a handful(cilantro leaves)
Cumin seeds 1 tbsp
oil 2 Tbsp
mustard seeds 1tbsp
red chillies 3
curry leaves 10
A pinch of asafoetida/hing
1. Cook the dal with turmeric, onion and 1 cup water until soft & mushy and keep aside.
2. Add the chopped vegetables and some more water, if needed, and cook till tender. You could use a pressure cooker..saves time.
3. Add the powders & mix well. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the tamarind paste. Cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Heat oil, add mustear, let int splutter, then add curryleaves, red chilly, and a pinch of asafoetida.
5. Add to sambar,along with coriander leaves, stir, boil, then serve steaming hot.