SUMMER IS HERE
Summer is upon us and the heat is unbearable . It's like an oven out there. The minute I step out of my cool house, ( which is very cool due to the fact that we have built it according to the traditional Kerala style which allows for a lot of air circulation, etc.,) the heat hits me in the face like a slap. Not at all discouraged, I still venture out ,thinking that as a hardy true blue mallu, I ought to be able to handle such trifling things as a little heat.
Famous last words!!
I should have just stayed home. By the time I reached home after two three hours, I was literally wilting! The minute I reached home, I changed out of my sticky and sweaty clothes, and dashed into the kitchen to make my lunch. I knew just the perfect antidote for the summer heat!
Easy to make and soo yummy! Healthy too. So good for my diet also. So here I am , comfortably ensconced in my cooool room,watching a movie with a bowl of curd rice and a large chilled glass of watermelon juice by my side.
Curd 1 cup
Cooked rice 2 -3 cups
Asafoetida a pinch
Salt to taste
Shallots /Button onions chopped 5-6 nos.
Greenchillies slit 2
Red chillies 1
Curry leaves 1 stalk
Coriander leaves/cilantro a few
Ginger crushed a pinch
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Oil/ghee 2 tsp
1. Mix together the cooked (should not be hot),salt, green chillies and asafoetida together, and keep in the fridge to chill.
2. Heat a pan, add oil, splutter the mustard seeds. Turn heat to low.
3. Add the curry leaves, shallots, and the red chilly. Saute for a minute and turn off the flame.
4. Add this to the rice along with chopped cilantro.
5. Chill and serve cold with a dash of red chilli powder and cilantro as garnish. Optional.
Tip: If you want to add more richness and taste , add 1 tbsp of fresh cream to the rice along with curd. Not recommended if you're dieting, though!!