SUMMER MADNESS


Summer!
I used to wonder why, at the very mention ofthe words “school holidays”,grown women would turn pale and suppressshudders..I used to wonder , because I remembered the school holidays,especially summer hols , as a time of fun and joy, endless days to play in thegarden and fields, trips to hillstations..I’m sure those famous words” umma ,i’m bored!”never passed my lips..
But memory can be tricky..Ask my mother,andshe’ll give you another version of my story..and no doubt it’s all true..Shebears the emotional scars as proof..and now that I have also got a trio ofschoolkids stuck at home..am busily acquiring the abovementioned scars too!!
I don’t begrudge the teachers theirholidays..I’m sure they need them.  Nodoubt they would have ticked off the last days of school in the same desperateway that we mums count the last days of summer holidays....But, faced with myown kids all day long, and the eternal problem of keeping them entertained..Iam eagerly awaiting the start of school ..Hats off to the present dayteachers...they can settle my kids into the quietest lambs, while I , amrunning ragged and weary !!
Aah...There’s nothing like summer holidays tomake you long for the routine of school days...sigh...

AppleSlab Cake 
Sugar                                 1 1/2 cup
Chopped apples               3 cups
Maida                                  2 cups
Baking soda                      1 tsp
Cinnamonpowder           1 1/2 tsp
Oil                                         1/2 cup
Ghee                                    1/2 cup
Egg                                       3
Vanillaessence                 1 tsp
Cashew nutchopped       1 cup

1.Preheat oven Take1/2 cup sugar in a heavy bottom pan and heat till it turns golden brown. Leaveto cool.
2. Sift together maida, soda, and cinnamon powder .
3. Beat the balance sugar, oil and ghee together.
4. Add eggs one by one. Beat well.add essence.
5 Add maida mix, and mix till joined together.
6. Lastly, add the apples and nuts and the caramel ,stir once ,
7. Bake in a greased tray till done.  (30 to 40 mi ns approx)
8.Serve hot..

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to try this cake.Can you please clarify when to add the caramel and what pan size to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is to be done with step 1 after sugar is cold?
    Prathibha

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops!!the caramel should be added to the greased baking tray, then the batter has to be poured in after it cools..sorry for my late reply..

    ReplyDelete