I bought some beetroots the other day..and I remembered an old recipe I had for beeetroot squash..I have no idea about the finer details as to whether I should call this a beetroot wine or squash..or a lemon drink??Whatever, it's a lovely thing to see and when some of my friends dropped in for a short visit, I served this drink in tall crystal classes, with a mint leaf as garnish...Everyone kept asking me what is this?what are the ingredients? But I just smiled my Mona Lisa smile and kept them guessing...





Ingredients:
Beetroot 2 medium sized
Water 2 cups
Sugar 1 cup
Water 1 cup


Method:

1. Peel beetroot, cut in half, and pressure cook using 2 cups water , for 10 minutes. Keeep aside to cool.



2. Boil water and sugar together in a saucepan till it is a thin syrup. Cool.

3. Remove beetroots , add sugar syrup to the red coloured water that is left in the cooker.

4. Cool, and keep in the fridge.

5. When needed, take 1/4 cup squash, add the juice of 1/2 a lemon, add 1 cup chilled water, and garnish with mint when serving.




Tips:
1. The beetroot can be used for any other beetroot dish, such as beetroot pachadi, or beetroot thoran, or pie...etc.
2.Please make sure that you mix lemon only JUST BEFORE serving, otherwise, the colour will change to a muddy brown colour afetr 15 minutes..
3. Some people add tonovin essence , which gives the taste of grapes to the squash,. If you add that, don't add lemon, just add water and serve.
4. No need for preservatives if you're making only this amount of squash. You can keep this refrigerated for at least one month.
5. If you want , you can substitute lemon juice with 7up or sprite...creates a lovely fizzy drink!!

No comments:

Post a Comment