A rainy day...

The monsoon is here!!
And what a lovely time it is, watching the heavens open up and pour buckets of water all around...In my tiny corner of kerala, we're having thunderstorms as well!!
Yup!!lovely to watch and wax lyrical about the rains while I am inside my cosy home ,sipping my hot coffee..but what about my three school going kids?
They come home from school with leaking shoes,sodden clothes, wet hair, and a suspicious air of guilt which tells me that they have sneaked out to play in the rain!!This is the moment for me to start fussing and clucking like a mother hen, and give a lecture about colds and sniffles...But I restrain myself...and you may ask why?Because i I have also been guilty of the same pleasure when i was a child myself...hasn't everybody ?
So, instead, I bring out a plate of steaming hot caramel custard pudding and proceed to serve generous portions to my three little rascals!What a lovely way to warm up!(and calories be damned!!kids don't need to count calories!)
"Mom!you make the best custard pudding in the world!!"(Ahem!)
It's funny how a twist to a fairly routine offering can transform it from the humdrum to the heavenly...In the case of my caramel custard, I add just a bit of custard powder to the ingredients and then bake it.Voila!You have the best custard pudding in the world!!

CARAMEL CUSTARD PUDDING
ingredients:
500 ml milk
1/2 tin condensed milk
2 eggs
2 tbsp custard powder
4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence

To caramelize-2 tbsp sugar

Method:

1. Preheat oven and place a shallow pan of water to heat in it.
2. Take a pudding mold, and caramelize sugar in it by heating on a low flame till sugar is golden in color. Allow to coat base and sides of the mold.
3. Mix all ingredients well, beating till the mixture is light and frothy.
4. Pour this into the cooled mold and place the mold in the pan of water inthe oven.
5. Bake for 30 minutes at 200"C, or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Invert the mold onto a shallow serving plate so the caramel comes on top, and serve either steaming hot or well chilled.


Some serving suggestions...
You could serve it with stewed apricots, or stewed pineapple, or crushed caramelised nuts..
6

No comments:

Post a Comment